Travelling can be expensive, and many other expenses often take priority. But every once in a while, you need to get out and see the world. If you’re tired of seeing your friends on Instagram posting pictures of their latest trips while you sit at home on your couch, this article is for you. We’re going to give you the secret to getting these trips for free: travelling on points and miles.
Booking Awards Flights: What You Need to Know
If you have a rewards credit card that earns points or miles, you can use those rewards to bankroll your travel expenses. Depending on the card, you may earn more points or miles on everyday purchases, like gas or groceries. Redeem those points on whatever you like, including travel.
Here are some basic figures around point and mile value:
- 50,000 travel miles are worth about $600, or one round-trip flight from coast to coast in the U.S.
- 1,000 points are worth around $10 to $15, depending on the credit card you use.
- To get a free flight with rewards points, you need about 30,000. According to the Bureau of Transportation, the average domestic flight costs about $300. With points valued at one to 1.5 cents, that’s 30,000 to 20,000 points, respectively.
How to Start Earning Points and Miles
Here are some steps to help you get closer to travelling on points and miles:
Step 1: Sign up for a travel rewards credit card.
Research a few rewards credit cards. Depending on the types of rewards you want and your FICO score, different options are better for different people.
Step 2: Earn points and miles by spending on your card.
Every card’s rewards system is different, so find out which purchases earn you the most points and miles. Be sure to put these purchases on your credit card, even if you pay off the balance immediately from a checking or savings account.
Step 3: Take Advantage of sign-up bonuses.
Many rewards cards offer hefty sign-up bonuses or bonuses for your first $1,000 spent. Look for those bonuses because every dollar counts toward your next adventure!
Maximize your points and miles.
Maximize your points or miles by researching the value of a point based on how it’s redeemed. It may be worth one cent if you redeem it for cash but 1.5 cents if you redeem it for travel. The value is not always the same.
Step 5: Book your trip using points and miles.
When you have enough, you can book flights and hotels to start travelling on points and miles.
Tips and Tricks for Traveling on Points and Miles
- Use a travel points calculator or travel miles calculator to help you determine if you have enough points or miles to go on your trip.
- You can earn miles without a credit card by shopping online, staying in a hotel, or even simply buying them. There are many options if you don’t want a rewards credit card.
- Follow miles and points blogs like Frequent Miler or The Points Guy to get the latest tips.
Have questions about how to use travel points? Reach out to us at [email protected]